Crack on commercial building roofs certainly is the most common problem of em’ll. No matter what type of building you live in if there is rain and strong winds, chances are that your roof will develop a crack or two! Of course, it can be avoided. But in this post, we are going to understand the reason behind cracks. Some of the most common reasons include natural calamity, solid failure, faulty construction, improper installation, improper design, and inadequate joints. All of these reasons cause cracks in the buildings. One way to control cracking is on-time identification of such cracks. So, you can take preventive measures to avoid any further damage.
Cracks can cause many serious problems. Roof contractors in Pennsylvania ask their clients to avoid overlooking cracks. And, to call for immediate attention if there is one on your property. There are a variety of types of cracks, crack patterns, and different types of control measures to eliminate each one.
Cracks in the building are considered a universal problem. Buildings develop cracks when they face excessive stress. It can be caused by externally applied force for example wind, earthquake, or rain waters. On the other hand, it can be induced because of internal change in temperature, moisture change, or chemical action. They affect the building’s artistic look and also destroy the complete integrity of the building.
Note: In case you are facing a severe crack in your building, immediately contact your local roof replacement repair services in Pennsylvania for a consultation.
Categorizing The Cracks
In general, all the cracks in your building can be divided into two types:
- Structural Cracks: First and foremost, structural cracks happen due to a plethora of reasons for example incorrect designing, overloading the components, etc. Structural cracks can prove to be fatal. In other words, they endanger the stability of the building. Place/spots to look at for a structural crack.
- Beams: They can develop flexural cracks, shear cracks, corrosion cracks, etc.
- Columns: They can develop corrosion cracks, diagonal cracks, and horizontal cracks.
- Slabs: They can develop flexural cracks, shrinkage cracks as well as corrosion cracks.
- Thin – less than 1mm
- Medium – 1 to 2 mm
- Wide – more than 2mm
Note: Best roofing company in Pennsylvania suggests looking out for the crazing crack phenomenon, which is a network of fine random cracks caused by shrinkage of the surface layer.
Cause Vs. Preventive Measures
- Thermal: First and foremost, most of the material used in making buildings expands when they are heated, and contracts when they cool down. Expansion and contraction cause cracking in the building. Don’t worry, the roofing contractor can fix it for you.
Prevention Tip: All joints should be constructed for example construction joints, expansion joints, control joints, and slip joints. Also, the joints must be planned at the right time of design followers by careful construction.
- Chemical: Next, on our list in cause vs. prevention measure is a chemical reaction. They may occur due to the material that is used to make concrete. Concrete may develop cracks in time, and facilitate the development of expansion reactions.
Preventive Tip: In case sulfate content in the soil exceeds 0.2%, use very dense concrete. You can increase its richness to prevent cracking due to corrosion.
- Shrinkage: Today most of the building material expands at times mostly because of moisture from the atmosphere. Then they shrink once everything starts to dry out. The reason behind this is excessive water. The quality of water used in the mortar mix is one of the major factors that cause shrinkage.
Preventive Tip: The best roofing company in Pennsylvania suggests using minimum quality of water when mixing cement concrete or cement mortar.
- Earthquake: In recent news, a 7.5 magnitude earthquake hit America. Earthquakes occur because of a sudden shift in the lower layer of the earth. This causes a sudden collapse of the soil. There are a plethora of other reasons that can trigger earthquakes.
Preventive Tip: Building a foundation should be done on firm ground. Also, tie up the building with connecting beams at the foundation level as well as door level plus roof level.
- Poor Construction: Lastly, one of the general issues in building foundation is ignorance. Due to carelessness, or negligence, constructed buildings often face cracks.
Preventive Tip: Proper monitoring and the use of good quality materials is necessary for a strong foundation.
There is one solution that fits all buildings. That is why proper maintenance and periodic roof replacement repair services in Pennsylvania buildings are done. The building can develop cracks randomly and a layman can easily overlook it. Most building accidents occur due to ignorance. In this post, we looked into different categories of cracks, what causes a crack to appear on a building, and what are the preventive measures. It is highly recommended to follow proper installation procedures while constructing a building for the safety of the structure and its occupants.